Yahoo, by far, is the biggest search engine and is visited regularly by more than 40% of internet users. Three types of Yahoo is there :
The Main (original) Yahoo
The International Yahoo sites
The Regional (City) Yahoo sites.
Yahoo has some very tough criteria for accepting sites. Here are some do’s and don’ts to make sure your site gets in Yahoo:
Follow all their instructions carefully and read the information on the following pages before submission.
How to suggest a site: https://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/ Yahoo US
Finding appropriate category: https://docs.yahoo.com/info/suggest/appropriate.html
- First, Yahoo lists pages alphabetically by TITLE in each category. So, if you can think of a realistic website title that begins with a number or the letters A, B, or C, go for it.
Find a suitable category for your website, and don’t submit to any categories that aren’t connected.
Only your business name or, if it’s a non-commercial site, your genuine site TITLE should be used for page TITLE. Do not add anything extra after the TITLE.
Yahoo will find your site if the search words appear in the title, description, or URL. As a result, ensure the description and title contain all relevant keywords! Work them into the text naturally- a list of keywords. When providing a description, be very brief.
- Make sure you do not have any pages under construction and that your site is fully functional, and all the links work.
- Ensure your business address, phone number, and email are accessible on your page.
- Be patient. It often takes 6-8 weeks for the overworked Yahoo staff to look at your site.
- Create an ABOUT PAGE or a section about your business or who you are if you don’t already have one.
- Ensure your site looks professional and does not use low-quality or very large slow images. If your site sells any products or services, make sure to have an online ordering mechanism such as a secure order form or secure shopping cart system.
- If your site is a personal page or non-commercial, make sure to have unique content that is worthwhile or interesting and cannot be found anywhere else.
- Don’t even THINK about bothering them until your site is 100% up and running means the site is up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Make sure your website is compatible with a variety of browsers and features. Sites just about Java, for example, will not be featured).
- Your website must be written in English.
Check to see whether your website has previously been listed on Yahoo. They will ignore you until the end of time if you apply more than once a month.
- If you apply and are not accepted after two months, reapply.
You can also ask for reconsideration by mail or phone:
3420 Central Expressway, 2nd floor
Santa Clara, CA 95051, USA
Listing Support Phone: 408-731-3333
Phone : (408) 731-3300 — 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM PST
Fax : (408) 731-3301